I’ve got a Thursday afternoon confession family. I had to Google ‘raze’ and then change the title of this blog post so I didn’t jinx our initiative as ‘raze’ means to tear down, pull down or wipe out. Adios, lack of access!
Anyway, things are definitely moving and shaking in Chicora-Cherokee! We’ve got to do a minor tune up to our site plan for the North Charleston Planning Department and then WHAM – we’re gonna need major help. We’ll be bringing the workday/potluck theme from Chicora Place Community Garden in the next few weeks and months to meet our goal of opening our neighborhood grocery store this winter. Reach out if any of these volunteer/donation opportunities are up your alley:
HANDY WITH A HAMMER & POWER TOOLS?
- reinforcing/reassembling our deck
- adding shutters to our windows
- putting a cover on our AC unit
- installation of solar motion lights
- shed work
- EXTRA COOL POINTS: Setting up our farm store and offices to operate on solar power.
B.) Dumpster Dwelling
- building out a privacy space for our dumpster/recycling station (privacy fencing and post donations would be awesome)
C.) Hoop Houses
- we need some take charge and friendly teacher construction types to use our Growing Power plans to lead a community build on two hoop houses and a chicken coop. (I’ll be serving iced mint tea and shouting Hercules!)
CAN YOU PAINT OR HOLD A PAINT BRUSH?
- We need to paint the exterior of the Jones Ford modular building to pump up the excitement to our community store. My daughter, an artist and designer, is working on a mural for the store interior and will need some hands to help get the mural painted.
FIFTY SHADES OF GREEN THUMBS – whether you can garden blindfolded or need help keeping a Chia pet alive WE NEED YOU!
- landscaping our buffer zones (rugosa rose bushes, clumping bamboo, pineapple guava, loquats and kumquats, spreading blackberries and raspberries, fruiting bananas, and rosemary bush donations would be greatly appreciated)
- Spreading out wood chips and compost to build our beds for August planting.
- Compost bin construction
- EXTRA COOL POINTS: We need some greenhouse space to start our seedlings.
- Helping us feed the troops during these volunteer opportunities. We can probably raid the community garden for some of the veggie sides but will need some nibble while you work food donations.
VOLUNTEER GRANT WRITERS
- There are only two of us and almost 10 grant opportunities coming round the mountain. If you slip into ‘grantese’ in casual conversations and can do this work from home, holla!
Don’t be shy. We need volunteer worker bees, donor bees, and more. If you don’t see anything that suits your skills, then help a farm sista out and share our list with your circle of talented friends. The more the merrier!!!
Either comment on this blog post or send a private e-mail message to email@example.com, please . As we see who signs up, we’ll send out follow-up emails and put out a calendar.
Fresh Future Farmer G